Sunday, November 25, 2007

Introducing some of the Tribe

Today I'm going to begin introducing some members of my tribe. I will begin with my kids a.k.a. 'The Crumbgobblers'. On the left is my 10 year old son Takeo (tuh-kay-o) and to his right is Akayla my 7 year old daughter. They are mind-blowingly fun to hang out with. We enjoy camping at music festivals, going to the Meijer Botanical and Sculpture Gardens, various art and musical events downtown, traveling, board games, playgrounds, beaches, bike rides, being with 'extended family', and too many other activities to list. They are amazing! This is what it's all about.



Now we have come to 2 guys who are like brothers to me. Craig Gray (Ronin Martial Arts) is the menacing character to the far left. The refined gentleman on the right is Don Young (Innovative Martial Arts). Both of them are phenomenal instructors and really quality guys.
Behind me and with staff below is Jason McMillen (school name unknown at present) I have worked out with him a few times now and he consistently impresses me. Jason has a solid background in the military as well as civilian law enforcement/corrections. The guy that I'm rolling with is Aaron. He's a karate sensei from Lowell, Michigan. Aaron is quite good on his feet and a very nice guy. 4 highly competent and very humble men. This kitchen photo was taken at the most recent Gathering of the Tribes. Innovative Martial Arts hosts this crazy event twice a year and we get folks from far and wide. It is the only martial arts gathering of it's kind that I'm aware of. The host family (Chuck and Jeanne) puts everyone up for the long weekend and they feed us. I love these people! The first time I came for one I was invited by a buddy and didn't know anyone else (I ended up staying for weeks and am living here as I type this). The level of instruction is world -class and very practical (we are blessed by the presence of some legitimate masters), but it's the ego-free community spirit that sets it apart for me. Anyone can fight, that's nothing special. The positive energy and genuine concern for each other is what's truly special. Getting this large and eclectic (I'm being gentle here) group to settle down and train together is no small feat. Getting them to settle down and eat together however is almost impossible to prevent. Every Gathering of the Tribes has had great potlucks with spouses and kids hanging out for hours. The after hours exchanges are always the highlight for me. It truly feels like a family.

No comments: